What motivated you to write and then self publish your first book ‘The Kalarthri’?
All my life I have wanted to write books and stories. But I have never had the courage to actually pursue it. I had written a lot of stories and had a quite a few manuscripts under my belt – one of which was The Kalarthri. And then one day (well, a couple of days), I sat down and really thought about what I really wanted to do with it.
I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to be traditionally published or self-published and then thought about the pros and cons about what would happen to me if I did bring out my very own book. And here is what I came up with:
1) I don’t have to slave over my work until I have the next ‘War and Peace’. I am not writing to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. I am writing because I have these stories running around in my head that want to come out. Stories that I would like to read and have other people read. And they can’t do that if it has not been published.
2) I don’t have to write to a ‘word count’ because the industry says so. I wanted to be able to write my stories to the length they need to be and no more. I have heard some editors and agents tell their clients that manuscripts need to be ‘bulked out’. I did not want to do this.
3) What if people do not like it? Then people do not have to read it. Simple – I could not use this excuse anymore for not publishing.
4) The time is not right. But then I ended up thinking ‘The time is never right’ and if I kept on thinking that then nothing will ever happen and my stories would languish in their dusty box forever.
5) And this was the decider for me to publish – If I don’t do it now, then most probably I would never do it and I did not want to look back on my life and regret that I didn’t do this when I had the chance. I already have a small list of things that I regret not doing (and doing) in my life – I did not want to add to them.
So, to answer Hiram’s question on what motivated me to publish ‘The Kalarthri’… To be honest, it was the fear that when I am near the end of my life, that I look back and regret that I did not conquer my fear and publish.
And with this post ends this round of BlogRoll Tag….
I hope you’ve all had fun ‘playing tag’ and seeing what everyone had to say!
Don’t forget to sign up for Exploration Rights in my Newsletter to get access to extra goodies, giveaways and contests!